Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

If you are in the United States on a visa other than an M-1 visa, you may still be able to study with us. There are restrictions on each type of visa though. Please submit your contact information using the form on this page and an International Admissions Officer will contact you to discuss this in more detail.

An M-1 student is a nonimmigrant student attending a non-academic trade or vocational school, which has been approved by INS to offer such training.

Only after all documentation is received and verified by us. We will then send you an official Acceptance Letter to take to the Embassy.

  • Original Financial Affidavit (with sponsor information matching the bank statements)
  • Original Bank Statement(s) showing sufficient funds for the entire 18 months
  • International Passport
  • Acceptance Letter
  • I-20 Form
  • Documentation proving you have a vested interest in returning to your home country after completing your studies.

All international students must be fluent in English before they enroll. Applicants will be asked to furnish proof that they can read, write, and speak English fluently. International student applicants must meet the following requirement for admission to AIM.

If the student has passed at least five years of English language study (school transcripts should show this) or English is their native language, then an English proficiency test is not needed. The school reserves the right to accept an equivalent examination as deemed appropriate. If a student does not meet the requirements described above, the applicant must provide evidence of passing a standard English language test, meeting one of the requirements below:

    • Minimum TOEFL Paper and Pencil test score of 475
    • Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 55
    • Minimum IELTS score of 5.5
    • Both a minimum IELTS score of 5.0 and a minimum AIM’s Standard Assessment of Functional English (SAFE) Exam score of 15 out of 20
    • PTE Academic Test score of 42 minimum

  1. If a student scores between 450 and 475 for the TOEFL paper test, between 45 and 55 for iBT, or a bandwidth score between 5.0 and 5.5 for IELTS, the school may grant conditional acceptance provided that the applicant agrees to enroll into a pathways to English as a second language program. Prior to enrollment at AIM, the student would be required to provide proof of ESL course completion, as well as evidence that their English language testing scores had improved to meet the standards as outlined. AIM applicants are uniquely reminded that the FAA requirement for successful A&P certification mandates the candidate read, write and speak in the English language.

  2. Proof of successful completion of a secondary school program that is equivalent to high school in the United States. Verification of International Diplomas and/or Certificates is accomplished using a corporate-approved credential translation and evaluation service.

  3. Valid passport with an expiration date at least 6 months past the course completion date.

  4. Certification of financial ability to meet tuition and other necessary expenses or ability to qualify for financial aid as an eligible non-citizen.

* You must be 18 years of age.

  • The International Student Application Form.
  • The Financial Affidavit. This should indicate you have sufficient funds available to cover the first academic year as well as your living expenses (which includes lodging, meals, transportation, etc.)
  • Current original bank Statement(s).
  • TOEFL or IELTS exam results (unless your school transcripts show you passed five or more years of English).
  • A copy of your International Passport.
  • A completed Enrollment agreement which will be given to you by your Admissions Officer

Yes, you can fax or e-mail all your required documents to us. You will need your originals with you when you go to the Embassy and when you arrive at the school.

Yes, there is a $100 processing fee and a $25 application fee, which must be paid prior to any paperwork being processed. You can pay for this in any of these ways.

  • Give us the credit card information over the phone, by fax or e-mail.
  • Send a money gram, traveler's check, or a personal check drawn on an American bank made payable to Aviation Institute of Maintenance and sent to the address provided by your Admissions Officer.

No. We do not offer scholarships or grants for international students. A loan is possible if you have someone in the U.S. who is a citizen, has a "Green Card", or has political asylum. This person must have good credit and be willing to sign a student loan for you.

No. You will have to pay for that separately. Again, the cost will vary depending on which location you choose and how you intend to live. Example: with or without a roommate.

Aviation Institute of Maintenance does not have dorms for its students. Each student must attain lodging in the area of the campus in which the student plans to attend.

Each campus will arrange for housing international students before their arrival. You are expected to pay for at least 6 months' rent in advance. If you have family or friends you can stay with, that will clearly help you with your finances.

Each campus presents a different situation. Some cities have public transportation (trains or buses) that stops at or near the campus. Other cities do not require that you have a car to get around. Many of our students share rides with one another from nearby apartments.

No. Each campus has a wide variety of hands-on training aids and full-sized aircraft of different types. However, we do not have large commercial jets onsite at our schools. You will learn on different engines and other cross-sections of aircraft.

Yes. We have contacts with hundreds of companies throughout the country, and many of these visit our campuses throughout the year to interview students and recent graduates. Our Career Services department can help you prepare your resume, practice interviewing and help you make connections with these employers.

That depends on many different factors. We offer initial training for those seeking their FAA A&P License. Your best course of action is to contact the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) at their website ( ) and let them tell you if your training and experience is acceptable toward the A&P License. Based on their answer, we may or may not be able to help you.

Yes. If you would like to take the Airframe or Powerplant program separately, we can assist you.


Request More Information

You could be fixing jets, but you got to get the training. Get the training here.

Gainful Employment Disclosure and Consumer Information | Net Price Calculators

By submitting this form, I give consent that Aviation Institute of Maintenance or its agents, may contact me via email, phone (both mobile or home, dialed manually or automatically), text, or other means regarding programs, offers, and general information about our school as part of our Privacy Policy.

Goals and Interests(max 300 words)