Open House, Open Questions: What to Ask When Attending an Open House
Campus open houses are the time to experience how it feels to attend a certain college. It’s also the time to ask important questions since campus staff is available to assist you. While the amount of questions you could ask is endless, we’ve compiled questions you don’t want to forget to get the answers to when visiting an open house:
- What is your process of admission?
This question helps you assess your chances of getting admitted into the college based on your qualification details.
- What are your educational requirements?
- What do I need to succeed while at this campus?
Get an idea of the personal principles and values you need to do well at the college. This question also helps you evaluate the general attitude of the campus towards education and non-academic issues.
- What is the total cost of my tuition?
This could be a broad question, so break it down into sections you consider most important to you. Ask about the tuition fees and the types of payment plans offered. And don’t stop there. Go on to read any financial guide the campus gives you to ensure that you are ready to handle all the financial obligations.
- Are tools and books included in tuition?
- Does the program you’re interested in require a uniform? If so, is it included in tuition?
- Are there any scholarship programs available?
- Do you have financial aid programs for your students?
Most schools do and it’s important that you find out so you have the opportunity to access a form of extra financial support.
Questions about the Campus Environment
- What is the overall campus environment like?
Learn the “vibe” of the campus and it surrounding facilities to make sure that it is an environment that you can adapt to and will be comfortable in for a long period of time.
- What kind of social activities does your campus participate in?
Find out what types of events are held at the campus, if any. This could be a way for you to meet new friends and also network to find a connection for your career down the line.
Adult Learners- Support Questions
With more responsibility comes more questions. You may be presented with a different set of obstacles that require you to seek out additional support to make your education possible.
- Do you aid in job placement assistance?
- What counseling and guidance services do you offer to students? Are these services accessible?
- Is tutoring available?
- Is there a Student Center?
- Do you offer child care or have services nearby?
- Transportation is key. Do you have a ride share program or provide transportation services for students who don’t have a vehicle?
- What can career services help me with?
Be sure you ask the questions that are most important to you when attending an open house. Make the most out of this opportunity to get the information you need to help decide if the institution is right for you!